Thursday, October 23, 2008

Working Mom of the Week - Kelly Moore



This week's working mom is Kelly Moore. Formerly self-possessed, Kelly Moore is a new wife and even newer mother, adjusting to life as third priority (or – if you count clients – fourth). She quit working for the man in December 2004 to become an independent PR consultant. It's the one thing she knows she's good at and the one thing she'll never take for granted. Kelly also recently launched DesMoinesFamilies.com for local parents.




Let Me Tell You Why I Suck As a Mother

Sometimes I wonder if I'm cut out to be a working mom. I have the working part down; it's the mom part that keeps me guessing.

It's not because I lack nurturing characteristics or because my house is always a mess. It's not because I can't bake the perfect cupcakes or my son never seems to have the "it" developmental toy of the week. It all comes down to the fact that I can't seem to remember anything.

Thirty days ago, I signed up to bring napkins for my son's Grandparents Day party. (Thank you, September Kelly, for not volunteering to bring cupcakes.) I was then reminded yesterday (via the daily reminder sheet personally handed to me every night at 5:15) to bring said napkins for the party at 4:15 today. Did I remember? No.

The party was in Outlook, I just forgot to set a reminder. It was on my daily reminder sheet. I just didn't read it. The party was even on our refrigerator calendar. I just forgot to glance at it in between teaching my 3-year-old how to draw a pumpkin, making chicken pesto for dinner and answering the 57 emails I didn't get to because I was rescheduling double-booked hair and doctor appointments.

It all worked out, as my son's daycare provider reminded me verbally this morning. But someday I'm going to really disappoint someone.

This is why I suck as a mother.


Thank you Kelly for this post. I think all moms can relate to this on some level. If you are interested in being featured as my "Working Mom of the Week", please contact me. Thanks!!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm a SAHM and I'd do the exact same thing. No worries :)

Unknown said...

i dread when my son starts school because i can't even remember to bring milk to the babysitter when she asks me. it's going to be bad!

Minxy Mimi said...

No worries at all!
I am a complete loser when it comes to remembering anything!

Tara @ Feels Like Home said...

oh, honey! You don't suck as a mother! We all forget things, and we will continue to forget things. It'll be okay!

 
Clicky Web Analytics