Thursday, October 16, 2008

Working Mom of the Week - Bridgette


This week's working mom is a dear "old" friend of mine - Bridgette from the Not-So-Blog Blog. We go way back before I was even married and definitely before kids. We have watched each others families grow. She is one of the nicest, sweetest people that I know. I was thrilled when she agreed to do a post for me.


My Life is a Circus

Step right up! Step right up! Do you ever feel like your life is a three-ring circus? When Laura asked if I would do a guest post for her Working Mommy series, I started to reflect on what my life is like as a full time working mommy. I started thinking about all of the hats I wear in my life: daughter, friend, wife, mother, lab technician, dance instructor and the list just continued to grow. I thought, "Man, what a circus!"


To your right, you will see Ring #1. The strong man, also known as my husband. He performs amazing feats of strength and bravery and manages to make them look easy! LOL! Randy and I are high school sweethearts (but we met in 6th grade) and have been married for 8 years now. He is a high school history teacher at an all girls Catholic school (he is surrounded by hundreds of teenage girls a day, that in itself is an act of bravery!). He is my equal, my partner, my love and my strength. I absolutely love being married to him and adore my "wife" hat.


006


In the Center Ring, you will see the clowns also known as my girls, Lily and Aubrie! Every day is an adventure trying to raise a toddler and an infant, but I would not trade it for anything in the world. They always brighten my day and make me laugh no matter what is going on in the other two rings. The clowns demand the Center ring.


sisters


To your left, you will see Ring #3, the termites. OK, OK, so termites are not a part of a traditional circus, but they are in MY circus. It could happen. LOL! Anyway, I work full time as a Lab Technician. The main focus of my research is biological control of the Formosan Subterranean Termite. I know, you are thinking, blah blah blah. I won't bore you with the details, but I love my job. It provides me a creative outlet and of course an income.


beaker


Then, there's me. I am the Ringmaster (I always wanted to wear a top hat!). My main job is coordinating the acts performed in all three rings. I must make sure that each ring is happy and gets it's share of time in the "show". The main point here is that just because the spotlight may be on one of the three rings at any given moment, none of the rings cease to exist. Just because I work full time, does not make me less of a Mom, Wife, Daughter, etc. This is a problem I think working mommies have to deal with on a daily basis. Getting your employer to understand that you must leave early to take the kids to the dentist, or getting your hubby to understand that you have to work late on occasion, or getting your friends to understand that you actually LIKE working can take a lot of juggling. The circus is a delicate balance of activity, but I think I'm doing a pretty good job!

So, step right up, grab some popcorn and visit the Circus at The Not-So-Blog Blog!


Thanks again to B for her post!! If you are interested in sharing your experiences for Working Mom of the Week, please contact me.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

I love your fun and accurate way of describing the life of a working mom - especially the part about none of the rings ceasing to exist no matter where the spotlight is!

Some days I definitely feel like I'm juggling on a unicycle! :)

Take care,
Steph

Minxy Mimi said...

Great post!
I did not know you two knew each other for so long!

Erin Tales said...

LOL! What a creative way of introducing yourself!

Bridgette said...

Mimi, yes, Laura and I met on a message board called the "Cubedwellers" on ediets...waayyyy back when! LOL!

Haasiegirl said...

I love you Bridgette! What a great interview!

trisha

Unknown said...

i love it! great story B.

MMJ said...

What a great read B! Awesome job!

Anonymous said...

What a fun way to describe your life. Awesome post, B.

Andrea said...

Awesome post! You are an amazing woman Bridgette!

AJ @ A Little Bit Nutty said...

Great Interview Bridgette!

Anonymous said...

Great post, that was so cool :)

Heather said...

What a great interview! I love hearing about your fun job! you nerd!

pearlsandchocolate.com said...

Great post! I feel the same way about my life! You go girl!

Jenna said...

YAY! You know what's funny, my stepdaughter's name is LILY and as you know my youngest is AUBREY LOL!!! Very creative interview!

Reese said...

Super!!

Reese said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenni said...

I think she should totallt get a top hat!

Great post! Beautiful girls!

Anonymous said...

And now you have a barker too! It's what all three ring circus's need. Very cute and funny and you do a great job!

Bella Sweet Cakes said...

GOOD DAY!!! .. I am hosting a TOY HUNT where u can post a Toy every week ,, we've got a theme to follow.. for sure you'll enjoy this ,, if ur interested feel free to visit my site for details http://whenmomtalks.com/2008/10/come-and-join-my-toy-hunt.html
Thank you ,, hope to see you there...

 
Clicky Web Analytics