Thursday, October 2, 2008

How Green Are You?

We are trying to be a little more eco-friendly in our house. While I won't say that we are "green", we try to do what we can to help the environment. I definitely would like to be more conscious of the things we use and how safe they are for the enviroment.

I have not been one to just pitch all that we have now though and start over. It's been a gradual process. Here are some of the things we have done.

We purchased a 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid. We had two SUV's and with the cost of gas and trying to be a little bit more environmentally friendly, we decided to trade in mine and go for the Hybrid. We LOVE it! My husband the mechanic says that this is probably his favorite car.

I also have started trying to buy more eco-friendly cleaners and laundry detergents. We have switched out the all purpose kitchen and bathroom cleaners for stuff that is environmentally friendly. We just started using "green" dishwasher soap. We recycle what we can.

As far as stuff for the girls, I like to switch to eco-friendly diapers, wipes, soap, and such as I figure their little bodies don't need any harsh chemicals (not like us adults to either, but you know what I mean).

I think that it's great that there is now eco technology!! This is definitely something that we will look into the next time we need a new digital camera. We will probably need a new one soon as our is older (see my post below about being a techie family). With today's offerings, we could probably also find an eco friendly cheap printer.

For those of us that are trying to do our part for the environment, it's great that more and more places are giving consumers the choice to purchase this stuff. I remember a time when it was hard to find any "green" products. Now, most stores carry various products.

It's sort of funny that Brian and I do these things now. We probably would have once thought of them as silly and pointless. Now that we have two girls, we try to do every little bit that we can to make this a better place for them and to protect them.

I know that we can't single handedly save the world, but every little bit helps, right?

How "green" is your family??

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Jenni said...

We are recycling more than ever and I am using the reusable grocery bags.

Your Pal Pinki said...

We switched out every light bulb in and out of the house except for the tiny chandelier bulbs(those cost a fortune so we just try not to use them as much). We recycle everything we can, use cloth grocery bags, try not to use too much water during showers and watering the lawn, and grow our own veggies-you can't get much greener than plants! : )

Gem said...

I'm light green, but trying to make little steps every day to become greener...

Anonymous said...

I would say we're a sage green. :hee: We recycle, use compact fluorescent bulbs, I try to use eco-friendly cleaning products (Method, mostly), I have some cloth grocery bags I try to use (but sometimes forget). We grow our own tomatoes and herbs. I'm definitely not as green as I could be, but I try.

Dr.Rutledge said...

I think your blog is great, and I would like to feature you on the new
Wellsphere. We feature only the best health bloggers on our WellPages,
which are special pages that our Health Knowledge Engine crafts to give
our users answers to their health questions. We would feature you on all
the pages on topics that our knowledge engine finds are related to your
blog postings. Because we have over 2 million visitors each month (and we
are growing rapidly), you would benefit from an expanded audience for
your writings. If you would like us to feature you, send me an email to
Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com

Cheers, Geoff

 
Clicky Web Analytics