Tuesday, September 11, 2007

September 11th

Today is my dad's birthday and the 6th anniversary of 9/11.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was sitting at work and had just checked out MSNBC like I always did throughout the day. There was a brief article about a plane hitting one of the Twin Towers. I didn't think too much of it. I just thought it had been a plane going down.

Someone came into work and said that another plane hit the other tower. I said that I knew that already but they explained to me that it was ANOTHER plane. That's when we all knew something was terribly wrong.

I have goosebumps as I write this, but I just couldn't believe we were being attacked in such a way. I would have to say that no work got done that day as we all were talking and reading the news online and huddling around radios.

I remember calling my dad around 11 to wish him a happy birthday. It certainly was not a day to celebrate.

I remember making sure to call all my loved ones to just to make sure they were ok even though we were here in the middle of Wisconsin.

I was glued to my tv for day, probably even weeks after this. I finally had to stop due to the horrible nightmares I would have.

For a long time after this, I didn't know if I wanted to have kids because I knew that they way that the world in which they would grow up would be so different. I wondered what kind of world we lived in and why would I want to bring a child into it.

I have one online friend who lived right in New York when this all happened. Last year on the 5 year anniversary, she recollected the events as they took place there. I am amazed at her story and the strength of the American people. I was never so proud to be an American.

Some day, I am sure I will be telling my girls all about 9/11 and what it was like. I have to say, it will probably never ever be hard to remember.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics