Thursday, November 6, 2008

Working Mom of the Week - Julie Roads


This week's Working Mom of the Week is Julie Roads. She is a writer, blogger, mom, social media addict/consultant, my passion is helping moms grow their businesses online with social media and genuine relationship building (as opposed to SPAM nastiness). She can be found at Writing Roads and Blogging Roads.


I am a working mother who also happens to work outside the home. I have to say this because I think the assumption that a mom who doesn’t don a suit and bring in a paycheck isn’t working is insane, to say the least.


My work outside the home is my copywriting/marketing/social media/consulting business, Writing Roads, and it mostly takes place in the most adorable 120 sq. ft. post and beam shed in my backyard.


I take my shower, get dressed, pack up my bag, grab my lemon water, give everyone huge kisses and hugs, put on my coat, walk out the door...and walk 40 steps to my office door.


But, somedays it isn’t quite so easy-like today. Sophie started it. She’s going to be 3 next week, but when you ask her how old she’s going to be, she says ’45’ and I’m starting to think she’s on to something. (Mind you, yesterday when I asked her who our next president was going to be, she dismissed my weeks of training response, “Barack Obama!”, only to replace it with arms lifted, pointer fingers aimed at the sky and a proud, “Sophie is!”)


Anyway, this morning when I started to get ready to go, Sophie said, “Don’t go to work Mama J.”


Uggghhh, the pain, the agony, the rise of the tears (all mine).


“I have to go,” I say. “It’s a good thing, work is fun, I love it and if I don’t go, we can’t eat.”


She seemed satisfied with this answer, and I finished my goodbye routine and headed to my office.


I opened my computer and got one tweet out before, “Mama J! I’m lookin’ for you!”


This time it was Jack, just over 2 and a true escape artist. He had left the house and made it to my office completely undetected. We walked back inside, and I tried to give him a snack. But he said no to a banana, no to an apple no to grapes. “Well, what do you want?” I asked.


“I want you,” he said.


More tears (mine). I want you too, Jack...and Soph and spouse and dogs...and work (because I really do love it).


Just another working mother wanting to have it all, satisfy herself and do good in the world...and endlessly searching for just a little more time.



Thanks again to Julie for being the Working Mom of the week. If you are interested in being featured as the Working Mom of the week, please contact me.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

ParentingPink said...

Awww! Congrats working mom of the week! I love the fact that you have this post! Moms deserve so much credit!

Btw...tag, you're it over on my blog!

Staci A said...

It's so tough to find that perfect balance, and always hard when the little ones don't want you to leave! Can't wait to take a look at her sites!

Heather (How to be a Woman..?) said...

Congrats to Julie! I read her blog Blogging Roads & follow her on Twitter (what her friends would call one of her D & D pals). I just stumbled across your post here in my Google Reader. Small world!

Anyway, great to read more about her.

Ann K. Levine, Esq. said...

So glad I found this! It's so nice to connect with other moms who also earn a paycheck. I hope you like my new blog on the topic - it's http://momwithmoney.wordpress.com

Kim @ What's That Smell said...

Great interview!

I'm going to have check out her websites!

Unknown said...

Another great idea Laura. Now I really want to go read Julie's blogs and learn more about her!

 
Clicky Web Analytics