I think that in these economic times, we are all looking for ways to save money were we can. I know that one thing we have done is that instead of meeting our friends out for a few drinks, we get together at someone's house. This saves us all money and we have found it's actually more enjoyable. We don't have to worry about a noisy bar where we can't talk or being in a crowded place. We like to play games. I will admit, the Wii is always popular, but sometimes it's actually more fun to get out some board games to play.
Playing games at home is another great way that families can save money and spend a fun evening together. The editor in chief of Time to Play, Jim Silver, has this great article about bringing back family game night. He talks about some of the favorite board games available. I have listed a few below.
This game is for the card lovers/card sharks who can multi-task or multi think. Essentially, you’re playing Michigan Rummy, Hearts, and Poker at the same time. All the cards are dealt, and then you play each game. My sister and I loved playing this game growing up.
This is an old favorite. I don't think I need to say anymore.
Apples to Apples
This game is all about comparisons of things, and you’ll often be amazed, shocked and amused on how people think. There is a different judge on every round. Everyone gets dealt cards with nouns on them, and then the judge draws a green card with an adjective for all to see. The other player then chooses their noun, which they think best describes the green card. The judge then chooses which they think is the most appropriate; which makes it a little bit like dealing with the judges of figure skating or gymnastics in competitions because you wonder at times what they’re seeing or thinking! This is one of our favorites to play with our friends. It's always good for a laugh.
One of my lucky readers will get to win their very own copy of the game Apples to Apples. Here's how:
- Enter by visiting Jim's article and tell me what board game he has listed was/is your favorite.
- The contest will run until Thursday, March 12th at 11:59 pm central. The winner will be selected through random.org and contacted by e-mail. Giveaway open to US winners only.
- Please leave a valid e-mail address or other way to contact you! If the winner hasn’t responded within 3 days, an alternate winner will be chosen by random.org
- If you’d like extra entries, you can:
- Subscribe to my RSS feed or subscribe via e-mail – leave me a separate comment to let me know.
- Mention this contest on your blog with a link back to this post, and leave a separate comment with the link to your post so I can find it.
- Either Twitter about, ‘Stumble’, ‘Digg’ or ‘Kirtsy’ this post – leave me a separate comment with your username at whichever site(s) you chose (one extra entry per method).