Thursday, November 13, 2008

Working Mom of the Week - Felicia



This week's working mom of the week is Felicia. Felicia @ Go Graham Go is a part-time counselor who brings moms real reviews on products that work! She tries to find the best deals and great prices.



Tales of a Job Sharing Momma


I am a planner. So, when I found out I was pregnant (planned) I knew that I would be going back to work full-time after the summer. I work as a school counselor and my son was born in April. I was going to take the entire time and go back full speed ahead!

I guess I was about 6 months pregnant when I started to have doubts about my glorious plan! I kept thinking about what it was going to be like to leave this tiny human in the hands of strangers that were caring for tons of other tiny humans! Then I saw the Oprah show that gripped my heart. It was about a mother, much like me, who had obtained her Masters degree, loved her job, and had every intention of heading back to work full time. It was when she visited the daycare center the day before her baby would be dropped off when she changed her mind. The daycare worker said to her as she was walking out the door, "Oh, and don't forget to pack a disposable camera. There will be some moments you will be missing and we like to capture those." Dagger to my heart!

Fortunate for me, another counselor who is also a dear friend of mine was working in the same school with me. Our due dates happened to only be about 6 weeks apart. I'll never forget the day when I had been thinking "job share" and she said it! (She had seen the Oprah show as well!). We carefully started planning out how it would work before we approached the principal. We wanted to make sure our plan was just right before we presented it! The county we work in had already turned down several other counselors who wanted to job share.

I'll never forget the day we decided it was time to approach the principal. We walked in and she looked at both of us and said, "I'm pretty sure I know why you two are here and I think it is a wonderful idea". She already sensed it and Oked it...just like that! God truly is amazing! Our principal took our plan to the powers that be and fought for us! We were able to have our full time positions held for us for an entire year as well (of course, we gave them up and stayed with part-time).

This truly has been the best of both worlds! I feel like I am able to use my talents and skills as a counselor as well as still have mommy time! This post is dear to my heart because I want readers who are questioning what to do to think outside the box and go over every possibility even if it seems impossible! If there is something you want don't be afraid to go for it! Afterall, two heads are better than one!



Thanks to Felicia for being my Working Mom of the Week. If you would like to share your life as a working mom, please contact me.


Enhanced by Zemanta

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Felicia said...

Thank you Laura!

Kristin said...

It is so nice to hear how Felicia made work! yay for her!!

Christi S said...

What a wonderful story! You're a rockin' workin' mama!! Congrats on being featured, Felicia!

Erin Tales said...

Thats awesome about the job sharing. I offered my manager the opportunity to let me work from home, but he said I would have to come into the office a few times a week. So... obviously did not happen. And you know - 1 year later he hasnt replaced me. He is overworked, though. LMBO! He should have taken my offer.

Staci A said...

That's so wonderful, especially that you had so much support!

Kim @ What's That Smell said...

Great interview, I love te job share story.

 
Clicky Web Analytics